Pages

November 21, 2011

Things to be thankful for and Stuffing...

I keep telling myself that I need to get on here and post more often, but I just never seem to follow through. I am hoping that by putting a challenge of sorts in writing that I will actually post a bit more often! My long term challenge to myself is to post twice a month, however until Christmas I hope to post once a week. In church yesterday our minister gave us 'homework', we received 2 note cards each and are supposed to write something that we are thankful for each day from now until Christmas day. Then we are to go back and read what we have written and think about everything else that we are thankful for. I am challenging myself to get on here every Sunday and post what I have written each week.

I can't believe that Thanksgiving is quite literally just around the corner...only a couple more days! It certainly doesn't feel like it's Thanksgiving time and I think that's due to the wonderfully warm (albeit out of season) weather we have been experiencing. We have yet to experience the bitter cold, windy weather that is the norm for this time of year. This year I am making pies (I think) for the Kocher Thanksgiving and am making my Mom's Stuffing for the Miller side...YUM! Here is Mom's recipe - she would make this every year when I was growing up. I received this recipe from her at one of my bridal showers and I try to make it every year for one of the Thanksgiving dinners that we attend.



Old Fashioned Amish Stuffing

1/2 c butter
1 medium chopped onion
4 stalks celery, chopped
3 medium grated carrots
2 bags unseasoned croutons
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp celery seed
1-2 cans chicken broth
2 eggs

In large pan, saute onion, celery & carrots in butter until tender. Mix with croutons, add all seasonings and toss. Beat eggs and add broth, then pour over mixture and toss.

Notes: Start off w/ one can (14 oz), may need to add half of 2nd can - you want it to be nice and moist. You can cook this either in the bird or in a crock pot. If cooking in the crock pot, cook on low for 4 hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment